The largest hospital in rebel-held east Aleppo was bombed on Saturday for the second time in days as Syrian government forces pressed a Russian-backed offensive to retake the entire city.
Aleppo, once Syria's vibrant commercial powerhouse, is now at the heart of a major military campaign by President Bashar al-Assad's fighters and his steadfast ally Moscow.
The offensive, announced on September 22, has seen dozens of civilians killed and residential buildings flattened in the east, where an estimated 250,000 people live under government siege.
As the situation for civilians grows increasingly dire, the biggest hospital in east Aleppo was hit by two barrel bombs on Saturday, the medical organisation that supports it said.
"Two barrel bombs hit the M10 hospital and there were reports of a cluster bomb as well," said Adham Sahloul of the Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS).
Sahloul said a small group of patients and doctors "were inside the hospital for basic triage, bandaging, and cleaning services for emergency cases" when the bombardment began and remain trapped there.
SAMS radiologist and hospital administrator Mohammad Abu Rajab made an urgent call for help on Saturday morning from inside M10.
"The hospital is being destroyed! SOS, everyone!" he said in an audio message distributed to journalists.
M10 had already been hit on Wednesday along with the second-largest hospital in the area, known as M2, in what UN chief Ban Ki-moon denounced as "war crimes."
That bombardment heavily damaged the two facilities and left only six fully-functional hospitals in the city's east, according to SAMS.
'Flood of violence'
At the bombed hospital, an AFP journalist saw blood-stained hospital beds and dented equipment lying in disarray beneath blown-out windows, while medical staff in green scrubs picked through the rubble outside to assess the damage.
The strikes were strongly denounced by French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault.
"In the flood of violence that has overwhelmed Aleppo for several days, the systematic targeting of structures and health workers is particularly unjustifiable," Ayrault said.
"This new attack only confirms the absolute urgency of a cessation of hostilities in Aleppo and access for civilian populations to the humanitarian assistance they desperately need," he said.
The World Health Organization has called Syria the most dangerous place in the world for health workers, and Aleppo in particular has seen much of its medical infrastructure destroyed or heavily damaged.
Since fighting first broke out there in 2012, Aleppo has been divided by a front line between rebel forces in the east and government troops in the west.
After the government launched its offensive last month, more than 220 people have been killed by bombardment on Aleppo's east, including six children and 12 other civilians on Friday, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
In west Aleppo, rebel rocket fire killed 15 civilians and wounded 40 on Friday, state television reported. The SANA official news agency said 13 people were wounded Saturday in the western Al-Midan neighbourhood, also by rebel shellfire.
The assault has seen government forces seize territory in both the Suleiman al-Halabi neighbourhood in the city centre, as well on the northern edges of Aleppo.
'Bombs are raining'
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Lebanon government in 11-hour reform drive as protests swell
US troops cross into Iraq from Syria
Kurdish-led forces say they have pulled out of Syria border town
Hariri agrees reforms amid nationwide protests over economic situation
Hundreds of thousands take over streets as Lebanon's protests grow
US officials 'optimistic' Syria cease-fire holding
Turkey and Russia to discuss removal of Kurdish militia from Syrian towns
US troops from Syria expected to go to Iraq- Pentagon chief
Thousands take to Lebanon’s streets on third day of protests