German police launched a manhunt Wednesday for a rejected asylum seeker suspected of involvement in a deadly truck assault on a Berlin Christmas market claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.
Officials said asylum office papers believed to belong to the Tunisian man with alleged links to the radical Islamist scene were found in the cab of the 40-tonne lorry used in the attack that killed 12 people.
"There is a new suspect we are searching for -- he is a suspect but not necessarily the assailant," Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere told reporters, saying a Europe-wide search was underway. He declined to give further details.
But his regional counterpart in North Rhine-Westphalia state, Ralf Jaeger, said the man identified as Anis A. or Ahmed A. by media, had already been under investigation for planning an attack.
Counter-terrorism officials had exchanged information about him, most recently in November, and a probe had been launched suspecting he was preparing "a serious act of violence against the state," Jaeger said.
The suspect came to Germany in July 2015 but his application for asylum was rejected this June.
His deportation, however, got caught up in red tape with Tunisia, which long denied he was a citizen. The required documents only arrived on Wednesday, two days after the Berlin attack, said Jaeger.
One conservative lawmaker, Stephan Meyer, said the suspect was being watched by police.
"We are apparently talking about a potentially dangerous suspect who was known to authorities and belonged to the Salafist-Islamist scene," he told reporters after a meeting of parliament's interior affairs committee.
A previous suspect -- a 23-year-old Pakistani asylum seeker -- was released late Tuesday for lack of evidence, prompting fears of a killer on the loose and further rattling nerves in a shocked country.
Twelve people were killed when the Polish-registered articulated truck, laden with steel beams, slammed into the crowded holiday market late Monday, smashing wooden stalls and crushing victims.
The scenes revived nightmarish memories of the July 14 truck assault in the French Riviera city of Nice, where 86 people were killed by a Tunisian Islamist.
Twenty-four people remained in hospital, 14 of whom were seriously injured, De Maiziere said.
The IS-linked Amaq news agency said "a soldier of the Islamic State" carried out the Berlin carnage "in response to appeals to target citizens of coalition countries".
There was no evidence to back the claim, nor was the perpetrator identified.
Germany is part of a US-led coalition fighting IS in Iraq and Syria.
Tunisia is one of the biggest suppliers of jihadist fighters, with some 5,500 of its nationals believed to be involved in combat in Syria, Iraq and Libya.
The attack comes at a delicate time for Chancellor Angela Merkel who is running for a fourth term in 2017 but has faced strong criticism over her decision last year to open the country's borders to refugees.
The case inflamed the debate about asylum policy in general, and in particular the speed at which rejected asylum seekers can be deported.
Germany this year moved to declare Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia as safe countries of origin, to raise the bar for asylum requests after last year's record influx of around 890,000 people.
But the bill has been stuck in the upper house for months over human rights concerns in those countries.
Germany in mourning
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
German energy giant RWE vows action against activists
Italy holds Netherlands, EU ‘responsible’ for migrants on rescue boat
Hunt ramps up pressure on Johnson over police visit
London mayor Sadiq Khan calls Trump a ‘six-foot-three child’
Johnson’s domestic ‘row’ rocks UK leadership race
UK gardeners given guidelines to avoid wildfires
Erdogan quiet on final day before Istanbul election
Activists storm German mine
Russia suspends Georgian airline flights in its territory