The Ministry of Economy and Commerce (MEC) has offered 11 plots of land across Qatar to private sector investors to develop and operate new private schools.
Launched by the MEC Technical Committee to Stimulate Private Sector Participation in Economic Development Projects, the initiative - in co-ordination with the Ministry of Education and Higher Education - is aimed at providing high-quality education by improving infrastructure for enhancing the quality of education and training.
"It is also meant to accommodate the students expected to come to the country in the upcoming years, diversify education in the country by providing a number of excellent schools and provide jobs to professionals in the field," a statement from the ministry said.
The 11 plots of land are located in different areas as follows: Umm Qarn (one), Rawdat Al Hamamah (one), Al Wukair (four), Luaib (one), Al Thamid (two), Al Khor (two) and Simaisma (one). Each piece of land will cover an area of 15,000sqm.
The MEC said the allocation would be made through public tenders ,according to the stipulations of Law No 26 for 2005 and its modifications regulating tenders and bids. Potential investors should submit a temporary guarantee of QR300,000.
The deadline for receiving bids is Sunday, June 18.
A team of specialists from both the MEC and the Ministry of Education and Higher Education will be formed to evaluate the bids submitted by investors. The project will be managed through the design, build, finance and operate (DBFO) contract system.
Both local and foreign companies will be allowed to take part in the tender in accordance with Law No 13 for 2000 regulating the investment of non-Qatari capital in the country's economic activity. Investors who meet 70% or more of the evaluation standards will be considered qualified.
Each winning investor is to be allocated one plot of land only. When several investors bid for the same plot, the one who scores the highest evaluation marks will be awarded the contract. If the evaluation points are the same for more than one, a draw will be conducted to select the winner.
The technical committee had sought the views of stakeholders on the initiative through a questionnaire during November 15-December 15 last year. Of the 45 entities who participated , 87% were companies.
On evaluating the inputs of the questionnaire it was found that 51% of the participants wanted to follow the British curricula in their schools, and 76% of them wanted to develop schools for the age group of 4-18 years.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
QR1,000 worth of gifts for customers pre-ordering new Samsung Galaxy S21 Series from Vodafone
Residents and kids plant trees at Al Ebb Park
‘Synergy’ Exhibition interprets and honours Qatar’s heritage
Russia to reopen air travel with Qatar, other countries
Virtual seminar on traffic law on Sunday
Met warns of poor visibility early morning Sunday
Qatar-USA 2021 Year of Culture officially launched with joint concert by QPO and US Air Forces Central Band
Chances of fog expected for next two days from tonight
Saudi to reopen Qatar embassy in coming days: Saudi minister