South Africa’s SABC state broadcaster reported yesterday that Jacob Zuma had agreed to resign as head of state, citing sources, but the embattled leader’s spokesman quickly dismissed this as “fake news”.
The rand, which had gained as much as 1 % on expectations Zuma was on his way out, surrendered some of its gains after the rebuttal by the spokesman but remained 0.5 % stronger on the day to the dollar.
Standing outside a meeting of the top leadership of the ruling ANC, SABC correspondent Tshepo Ikaneng cited “authoritative sources” saying 75-year-old Zuma had agreed to step down and formalities on how to tell the nation were being discussed. The broadcaster also tweeted the report on its Twitter handle @SAfmnews.
He provided no further details in his brief live broadcast — the first reports that Zuma might be throwing in the towel after repeated calls from his party to end his scandal-plagued second term a year early.
Zuma’s spokesman, Bongani Ngqulunga, denied the reports in a text message, describing them as “fake news”.
The meeting of the ANC’s decision-making National Executive Committee (NEC) in a Pretoria hotel had set the stage for a decisive showdown between Zuma stalwarts and those backing a swift transfer of power to new party leader and current Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Ramaphosa, 65, says he has held direct talks with Zuma over a transfer of power, and said on Sunday the meeting of the party’s executive committee would be aiming to “finalise” the situation.
The party executive has the authority to order Zuma to step down as as head of state, although there is some domestic media speculation that he might resist this.
Zuma survived calls last year from within the NEC for him to quit.
But analysts say there is greater support for him to step down now.
Zuma’s tenure as president officially runs until mid-2019 and he has not said in public whether he will step down voluntarily.
Zuma is also facing a no-confidence motion in parliament set for February 22, but has survived several similar attempts to oust him in the past.
His entire cabinet would have to step down if the motion of no-confidence against him was successful.
Since becoming president in 2009, Zuma has been dogged by scandal.
He is fighting the reinstatement of 783 counts of corruption over a 30bn rand ($2.5bn) government arms deal arranged in the late 1990s when he was deputy president.
Some within the ANC and the opposition say the Gupta family, friends of Zuma, have used their links with the president to win state contracts and influence cabinet appointments.
The Guptas and Zuma himself have denied any wrongdoing.
Ramaphosa has put the focus on rooting out corruption and revitalising economic growth since defeating Zuma’s preferred successor, Zuma’s ex-wife Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, in the ANC leadership race.
Opposition calls for early elections to parliament
Eight South African opposition parties yesterday called for the “immediate removal” of President Jacob Zuma as the ruling African National Congress (ANC) took part in hours-long negotiations to convince Zuma to resign.
Zuma should be removed through a motion of no confidence, followed by the dissolution of parliament to trigger early elections, the largest opposition party, Democratic Alliance, said in a statement.
“The delaying tactics employed by the ANC in negotiating a soft exit for Jacob Zuma serve only the interests of Zuma himself as well as the interests of the ANC,” the statement said, released after a joint opposition meeting in Cape Town, the seat of parliament.
“It is therefore not sufficient to simply vote the president out and replace him with another tainted candidate,” the party said. “Parliament itself must be reconstituted.”
A motion of no confidence against the 75-year-old president, currently scheduled to be held on February 22, should be brought forward to this week, the party added.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Morocco arrests suspect after two Scandinavian tourists murdered
Madagascan former presidents face off in election clash
Man dies, 80 hurt as rival activists clash ahead of vote
Amnesty says over 3,600 killed in Nigeria violence
Kenyan warriors hunt cash not lions in Maasai Olympics
Zimbabwe ruling party okays Mnangagwa re-election bid in 2023
Fire that destroyed 8,000 voting machines was act of sabotage: Congo
Congo police fire live rounds to disperse opposition candidate supporters
Congo’s Kabila doesn’t rule out running again in 2023