A Saudi-led coalition air strike has killed dozens of Yemeni rebels including two commanders, state media said Saturday, in another blow to the insurgents following the assassination of their political chief.
The Houthi rebels staged a public funeral on Saturday for Saleh al-Sammad, head of their Supreme Political Council and effectively the insurgents' second-in-command, who was killed last week in an air raid claimed by Saudi Arabia and its allies.
His funeral came hours after Saudi Arabia's state-run Al-Ekhbariya television said two high-ranking insurgents were among more than 50 Houthis killed in a new strike overnight in the capital Sanaa.
The rebels have been locked in a war since 2015 with a Saudi-led military alliance fighting to restore the internationally recognised Yemeni government to power.
Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya television said the overnight strike had targeted the interior ministry in Sanaa, which is controlled by the rebels.
The Houthis confirmed the air strike on Sanaa but gave no details.
The rebels, who hail from northern Yemen, control Sanaa and much of the country's north -- which borders Saudi Arabia -- and the key Hodeida port on the Red Sea coast.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Lebanon urgently needs new gov't to avoid collapse: Hariri
Dozens of Iraqi protesters wounded as anti-government unrest resumes
Iran says it still respects 2015 nuclear deal, rejects "unfounded" EU claims
Iran aims to examine downed jet’s black boxes, no plan yet to send them abroad
Protesters regroup after day of clashes in Beirut
Iran aims to examine downed plane's black boxes, no plan yet to send them abroad
Libya summit opens in Berlin, seeking end to foreign meddling
More than 300 people wounded in Beirut protest clashes
Libya peace summit struggles to draw eastern commander Haftar back into diplomacy