At least 15 members of the Afghan security forces were killed early Monday after Taliban militants attacked their security post in the northern province of Kunduz, officials said.
The incident took place in Qala-e Zal district as the men gathered to eat a pre-dawn meal before fasting, Aminullah Ayaddin, a provincial council member, told dpa. Ten soldiers and five policemen were killed.
‘A bloodbath is ongoing in Kunduz and the government is worried about a ceasefire,’ Sadat said, referring to last week's announcement by the government of a unilateral ceasefire with the Taliban.
Sadat also confirmed that at least 28 policemen were killed in a Taliban attack on Saturday in another area of the same district.
Meanwhile officials said the Education Department in Jalalabad, the capital of the eastern province of Nangarhar, was also attacked by militants early Monday though initial details were unclear.
President Ashraf Ghani on Thursday said Afghan security forces would stop all ‘offensive manoeuvres’ against the Taliban, though not Islamic State militants, from Tuesday until June 20.
The Taliban however only responded by announcing a three-day long ceasefire from Saturday, which will cover the Eid celebrations that mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
Ghani in February offered a truce with the Taliban but the militants have yet to respond.
They announced their annual offensive in late April, and militant attacks on Afghan security forces, district centres and provincial capitals have increased since then.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
47 prisoners freed from two Taliban prisons in northern Afghanistan
Taliban leader says no ceasefire as US envoy heads to region
Floods threaten Jam minaret, 12th century Afghan gem
Loud explosion rattles Kabul, casualties feared
Taliban suicide bomber, gunmen attack police headquarters in northern Afghanistan
More civilians now killed by US, Afghan forces than by insurgents: UN
Afghan women go online to set #myredline for peace
Afghan communications ministry attacked, seven killed
Two girls' schools destroyed in western Afghanistan