Yemen’s Houthis deployed additional forces in the main port city of Hodeidah yesterday as a Saudi-led military coalition moved closer to the city centre in the largest offensive of the war, raising UN fears of a humanitarian catastrophe.
The alliance led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates launched its assault on the heavily defended Red Sea city on June 12 to try to weaken the Houthi movement by cutting off a key supply line for the group which controls the capital Sanaa and most populated areas.
“There is a heavy deployment of armed Houthis in the city and new check points have been set up in neighbourhoods where there are supporters of the Tehama brigades,” said one resident, referring to a Yemeni faction from the Red Sea coastal plain that is fighting with coalition forces.
Fierce clashes broke out after midnight near Hodeidah University, around 3km west of the city centre, on the coastal road linking the airport to the port, added the resident, who requested anonymity.
Coalition forces seized the airport on Wednesday and have been consolidating their hold in the area as UN efforts continued to reach a political deal that would avert an assault on the port, a lifeline for millions of Yemenis. The United Nations fears the escalation in fighting could exacerbate what is already the world’s most urgent humanitarian crisis, with 22mn Yemenis dependent on aid and an estimated 8.4mn believed to be on the verge of starvation.
The fighting has wounded and displaced civilians. Medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said it had received 151 injured people in recent days in Al Thawrah Hospital, the main public medical facility serving Hodeidah, and expects to receive more as the fighting moves towards the city.
“There are 86 beds in Al Thawrah and we desperately need more...We hope to set up a field hospital with 20 beds in the next two weeks,” Caroline Seguin, MSF programme manager for Yemen, told Reuters by telephone from the UAE. The Western-backed coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015 to restore the internationally recognised government in exile, but since then neither side has made much progress in the war, widely seen as a proxy conflict.
The World Food Programme said the fighting could result in up to 1.1mn people being either displaced or trapped within the city and in need of emergency food assistance.
UN envoy Martin Griffiths has visited Sanaa and Saudi Arabia to try to negotiate a solution.
The Houthis have indicated they would be willing to hand over management of the port to the United Nations, sources told Reuters.
A US official said Washington was urging the Saudis and Emiratis to accept the deal.
“The coalition will achieve its goal of liberating Hodeidah, city & port. Yet we will support all efforts to achieve an unconditional peaceful withdrawal of Houthi gangs,” UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said in a Twitter post on Saturday.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Thousands attend funeral for Iran attack victims
Russia says it will supply Syria with S-300 air defence system
Erdogan vows to impose secure zones east of Euphrates in Syria
Thousands mourn victims of Iran military parade attack
Iran’s Guards threaten to avenge parade attack
Four years of coalition strikes on Syria kill 3,300 civilians: monitor
Record rains in Tunisia leave four dead, damage roads
Four years of coalition strikes on Syria 'kill 3,300 civilians'
US condemns Iran attack but says 'needs to look at own base'