A suicide bomber blew himself up at an election rally in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar on Tuesday, killing at least seven people and wounding 25, officials said, warning that the toll was likely to climb.
Campaigning for the Oct. 20 parliamentary election began on Friday and security officials have warned that campaign meetings would be vulnerable to attack by militant groups.
Attaullah Khogyani, the spokesman of the provincial governor, said at least seven bodies had been taken to hospital, but other officials said the total was likely to be much higher.
Around 250 people were attending the rally in Kama district outside the provincial capital of Jalalabad, said Sohrab Qaderi, a member of the provincial council, adding that at least 20 were killed and dozens more wounded.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Militant group Islamic State has claimed a series of attacks this year that have killed scores of people in Nangarhar, on the border with Pakistan.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Two US service members killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash
Afghanistan's president claims victory over Islamic State
At least seven killed in Kabul car bomb blast
Afghanistan to swap Taliban militants for American, Australian captives
Afghan poll results may be delayed again as candidates spar over recount
Roadside bomb kills five schoolchildren in Afghanistan
No Syria-type pullout planned for Afghanistan: Pentagon chief
At least 62 killed in Afghan mosque blast
Three killed, dozens children wounded in Taliban truck blast