Afghan security forces have freed 200 hostages and killed two assailants who launched a car bomb attack in Kabul near several government buildings on Monday, an official said.
The hostages were employees of the deputy ministry for martyrs and disabled, Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said.
Rahimi said Afghan security forces are in the process of clearing the area of militants and freeing the remaining hostages.
A social media user posted on Facebook that they were stuck inside the Public Works Ministry.
"They are killing everyone, don't know what to do?????" the man posted, asking people to pray.
The attack began with a car bombing, followed by an eruption of gunfire. The assailants then began entering the buildings and taking hostages, according to Rahimi.
The area has been closed off by police and special units were at the scene.
Four people had been injured in the incident so far, Rahimi said.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
Monday's incident marks the 22nd attack in Kabul since January this year, leaving more than 510 people dead and close to 1,000 others wounded in the capital city alone.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Over 400 Afghan security personnel killed or wounded by Taliban in past week: govt
Violence in Afghanistan leaves 17 dead, many of them civilians
Blast at Afghan coal mine kills 7
Roadside bomb kills 7 civilians in Afghanistan
Afghan journalist and driver killed in blast
Afghanistan to free 900 more Taliban prisoners
Afghan ceasefire holds as prisoner release expected
Afghan president vows to speed up release of Taliban prisoners
Suicide bombing in Afghanistan leaves seven dead and dozens wounded