Conjoined twin boys born in Yemen who were in urgent need of treatment abroad died on Saturday, the health ministry in Houthi-controlled Yemen said overnight.
Doctors treating two-week-old Abd al-Khaleq and Abd al-Rahim in the capital Sanaa had said the boys could not survive within Yemen’s war-ravaged health system and needed to be taken abroad.
But the airport in Houthi-controlled Sanaa has been closed to civilian flights since 2015 because the Saudi-led coalition has control over Yemeni airspace.
Only UN planes can land there currently and re-opening the airport is a key aim of UN-led peace talks which began with negotiations in Stockholm in December.
A Saudi organisation, the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Works, had been looking into how to get the boys abroad for treatment, Saudi state news agency SPA said on Wednesday.
The tiny boys had separate heads but a shared torso.
In a statement carried by the Houthi-run Saba news, the health ministry said the deaths reflect the health and humanitarian situation Yemen’s children are living through as a result of the war.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
WHO: More than 30,000 displaced as fighting in Tripoli rages on
Unity govt forces near Tripoli launch counter-attack
IS group kills more than 60 regime fighters across Syria
Four Turkish soldiers killed in clashes with PKK - ministry
Sudan protest leaders to meet military rulers: campaigner
Troops strike Gaza after cross-border fire
Yemen risks 'massive resurgence' of cholera: Oxfam
Turkey arrests two suspected UAE spies: report
Protesters again march in Khartoum