* Boeing and US regulator face awkward questions
* Probe shows parallels with Indonesian disaster
* Airlines make contingencies, families await news
The investigation into the final minutes of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 turned on Tuesday to the secrets in the cockpit voice recorder as Boeing and a shaken global aviation industry hung on the outcome.
The voices of Captain Yared Getachew and First Officer Ahmednur Mohammed could reveal what led to the March 10 crash of the Boeing 737 MAX that has worrying parallels with another disaster involving the same model off Indonesia in October.
The twin disasters killed 346 people.
Black box data was downloaded in France but only Ethiopian experts leading the probe have heard the dialogue between Getachew, 29, and Mohammed, 25. The data was back in Addis Ababa on Tuesday, sources familiar with the probe told Reuters.
Experts believe a new automated system in Boeing's flagship MAX fleet - intended to stop stalling by dipping the nose - may have played a role in both crashes, with pilots unable to override it as their jets plunged downwards.
Both came down just minutes after take-off after erratic flight patterns and loss of control reported by the pilots. However, every accident is a unique chain of human and technical factors, experts say.
The prestige of Ethiopian Airlines, one of Africa's most successful companies, and Boeing, the world's biggest planemaker and a massive US exporter, is at stake.
Lawmakers and safety experts are questioning how thoroughly regulators vetted the MAX model and how well pilots were trained on new features. For now, regulators have grounded the existing fleet of more than 300 MAX aircraft and deliveries of nearly 5,000 more - worth well over $500 billion - are on hold.
Pressure on the Chicago-headquartered company has grown with news that federal prosecutors and the US Department of Transportation are scrutinising how carefully the MAX model was developed, two people briefed on the matter said.
The US Justice Department was looking at the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) oversight of Boeing, one of the people said. And a federal grand jury last week issued at least one subpoena to an entity involved in the plane's development.
The rest of the world is watching anxiously.
The European Union's aviation agency EASA promised its own deep look at Boeing's software updates and failure modes.
"We will not allow the aircraft to fly if we have not found acceptable answers to all our questions," its executive director Patrick Ky told an EU parliament committee hearing.
"Whatever the FAA does. OK? This is a personal guarantee that I make in front of you."
Canada said it would independently certify the MAX in future, rather than accepting FAA validation, and would also send a team to help US authorities evaluate proposed design changes.
In the hope of getting its MAX line back into the air soon, Boeing said it will roll out a software update and revise pilot training. In the case of the Lion Air crash in Indonesia, it has raised questions about whether crew used the correct procedures.
The MAX, which offers cost savings of about 15 percent on fuel, was developed for service from 2017 after the successful launch by its main rival of the Airbus A320neo.
Argus Research cut Boeing stock to "hold" from "buy", giving the planemaker at least its fourth downgrade since the crash, Refinitiv data showed. Its shares, however, were enjoying a rare respite on Tuesday, up 1.6 pct to $378 and cutting losses since the crash to under 11 pct.
In the hot seat over its certification of the MAX without demanding additional training and its closeness to Boeing, the FAA has said it is "absolutely" confident in its vetting.
The crisis has put pressure on airline companies.
Norwegian Airlines has already said it will seek compensation after grounding its MAX aircraft.
Various firms are reconsidering Boeing orders, and some are revising financial forecasts given they now cannot count on maintenance and fuel savings factored in from the MAX.
Illustrating the hoops airlines were jumping through, Air Canada said it intends to keep its MAX aircraft grounded until at least July 1, would accelerate intake of recently acquired Airbus A321 planes, and had hired other carriers to provide extra capacity meantime.
Beyond the corporate ramifications, anguished relatives are still waiting to find out what happened.
Many have visited the crash site in a charred field to seek some closure, but there is anger at the slow pace of information and all they have been given for funerals is earth.
"I'm just so terribly sad. I had to leave here without the body of my dead brother," said Abdulmajid Shariff, a Yemeni relative who headed home disappointed on Tuesday.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Car bomb blast kills eight near Somalia’s presidential palace: police
Suicide car bomb targeting convoy in Somali capital kills at least 8: official
Tunisia’s Speaker urges ‘peaceful struggle’
Burundi grenade blasts kill at least five, injures 50
S Africa’s top court stands by order to jail Zuma
West African leaders push Guinea strongman on swift elections
Deposed Guinea president Conde is well: Ecowas envoys
DR Congo leader seeks review of mining deals
SA’s lions prosper with careful watch and fenceless parks