The US State Department on Monday barred entry to 16 Saudi nationals over what it described as their role in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, AFP reported.
The announcement by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo comes as the administration of President Donald Trump has faced pressure from Congress over its response to the killing in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last October, which sparked unprecedented international scrutiny of the kingdom's human rights record.
A statement by the State Department listed the individuals and said they had been designated under Section 7031(c) of the Department of State, Foreign Operations and Related Programs Appropriations Act of 2019.
The State Department had previously revoked the visas of nearly two dozen Saudi officials and froze the assets of 17 others.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Egypt detains award-winning rights lawyer
Iran to present plan for regional security at UN
Egypt police kill militant in Cairo security raid
Iran to present plan for Gulf security at UN General Assembly this week
Iran accuses foreign forces of raising Gulf 'insecurity'
Dozens arrested after rare anti-Sisi protests
Dozens arrested in Egypt after rare anti-Sisi protests
Iran says it will destroy any aggressor
Thousands stage protest in Algiers despite tight security