At least 17 people were killed when a fire broke out in a four-storey commercial building in the city of Surat in India's western state of Gujarat on Friday, police said.
Television footage broadcast by private channel NDTV showed people jumping off the top floor of the Takshashila building or trying to escape by climbing down, as thick smoke billowed out.
Most of the dead were students who had been attending class at a tuition centre housed in the building, according to the spokesman for the office of Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
‘The fire started near the staircase, so they could not get down,’ Joint Commissioner of Police Harikrishna Patel said, adding that all of the dead were aged below 20 years.
The blaze, likely caused due to an electrical short circuit, started between 3.45-4.00 pm local time and spread rapidly, Patel said.
Television footage showed people trying to grab a large banner on the side of the building as they plummeted down.
Rupani has ordered an inquiry into the incident and asked Mukesh Puri, principal secretary of the urban development department, to submit a report within three days, the spokesman for his office said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Twitter he was thinking of the bereaved families.
‘Extremely anguished by the fire tragedy in Surat,’ Modi said. ‘May the injured recover quickly,’ he said, adding he had instructed authorities to help those affected.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Nine killed in fresh firing across Kashmir border
Protesters held as shutdown hits transport services in Telangana
Top court to hear plea for insuring bank customers
Three militants, two civilians killed as violence spreads in Kashmir
'Miracle survival' for newborn found in Indian grave
Delhi pollution levels spike as farmers burn crop stubble
Delhi enforces ‘action plan’ as pollution level rises sharply
Kashmir blocks SMS after trucker is killed
India looks into Flipkart, Amazon festive discounts after retailer complaints