At least 13 people have died Saturday in a car bomb blast near a market in a Syrian border town controlled by Turkish forces, Ankara and a rights watchdog said.
‘Based on first findings, 13 civilians were killed and around 20 others injured’ in the explosion in the northeastern town of Tal Ayab, Turkey's defence ministry said in a statement.
It blamed the attack on the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militia, which it sees as ‘terrorist’ offshoot of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
The PKK, which has waged an insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984, is blacklisted as a terror group by Ankara and its Western allies.
But the YPG under the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) banner spearheaded the fight against the Islamic State group in Syria with US support.
Last month, Turkey launched an offensive in northern Syria against the YPG, which drew immediate international condemnation.
A 120-kilometre (75-mile) ‘safe zone’ area between the Syrian towns of Tal Abyad and Ras al-Ain was established as part of an October 17 deal between Ankara and Washington, involving a ceasefire and the YPG's full withdrawal from the stretch.
On Friday, Turish troops began joint patrols with Russian forces in northern Syria to ensure the withdrawal of Kurdish fighters.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that Saturday's explosion killed 14 civilians and Turkish-backed rebels.
The group did not comment on who was behind the attack.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Iraqi PM-designate seeks vote of confidence for cabinet
‘Horror has multiplied’ for civilians in Syria: UN
Revolutionary squads guard Sudan's bakeries to battle corruption
Syria aid groups in desperate plea for Idlib displaced
Turkey demands withdrawal as regime strikes hit camps in Syria
UN rights chief demands safe corridors for Syrian civilians
Air strikes hit hospitals, camps in northwest Syria, relief effort overwhelmed - UN
Turkey to arrest 228 for links to cleric in probe of military, ministry
900,000 displaced by fighting in Syria since December: UN