* Kuwait issues fatwa authorizing Friday prayers at home
* Flights to and from Kuwait to stop at midnight
* Iran plans to clear streets to contain outbreak
* Bahrain's king pardons prisoners
* F1 race in Bahrain postponed
Kuwait's religious authorities asked Muslims to pray at home on Friday as the emirate prepares to enter a period of virtual lockdown to fight the spread of the new coronavirus.
"The doors of the mosques will stay closed," said the ministry of religious endowment in a statement, citing a religious decree. "The fatwa removes the need to attend prayers on Friday in mosques, and authorises having them at home, to protect the people from coronavirus."
Kuwait confirmed 20 new cases in the past 24 hours, reporting a total of 100 to Friday, state news agency KUNA said.
The government announced on Wednesday that passenger flights will be cancelled for an undetermined period from midnight on Friday to and from Kuwait's only international airport.
The measures also provide for a two-week public holiday, ending on March 29, and the closure of gyms, public gardens and the popular Friday market. Restaurants and coffee shops are only allowed to keep delivery services open.
Vital services, including oil production, are excluded from the ruling. Kuwait National Petroleum said on Friday strategic reserves of oil products were at a "safe" level and all measures taken to deal with emergencies.
Bahrain ordered the release of hundreds of prisoners on Thursday, according to the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy which linked the decision to efforts to contain the virus.
King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa issued a decree granting pardon for 901 prisoners. A further 585 prisoners will spend the remainder of their sentences in rehabilitation and training programs, the state-run Bahrain news agency reported.
Saudi Arabia reported 17 additional cases over the past 24 hours taking its total to 62.
More than 700 cases have been reported to Friday in the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council. No deaths have been announced so far. Authorities say most of those infected had travelled to Iran, the regional epicentre of the outbreak, or been in contact with returnees.
Iran, one of the countries worst hit by the pandemic outside China, reported 514 deaths and a total of 11,364 cases on Friday.
"Our law enforcement and security committees, along with the Interior Ministry and provincial governors, will be clearing shops, streets and roads ... This will take place in the next 24 hours," Iranian state TV cited Armed Forces Chief of Staff Major General Mohammad Bagheri as saying at a meeting about the virus.
In the UAE capital Abu Dhabi, Etihad Airways announced the suspension of flights to and from Rome and Milan on Friday, from March 14. The death toll in Italy passed 1,000, in Europe's deadliest outbreak.
In Dubai, the UAE business and international transit hub, Emirates airline suspended until further notice all flights to and from Italy, except Rome.
Abu Dhabi ordered the suspension of all events and the closure of nightclubs, according to a source with direct knowledge of the matter.
In Dubai, the March 20 K-Pop Super Concert which was to have featured performers including South Korea's Super Junior band was postponed, according to organisers.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Over 50 missing after boat from Libya sinks
UN agency says 52,000 displaced in Gaza, Amnesty wants war crimes investigation
Hamas-Israel fighting abates as truce calls mount
Gaza pummelled by fresh Israeli air strikes, nearly 200 dead in a week
Etihad Airways suspends flights to Israel
Floward covers entire GCC with launch in the Sultanate of Oman
Dubai eases Covid-19 restrictions, allows full hotel capacity
Gaza pummelled by fresh Israeli strikes, more than 200 dead in a week
Saudi Arabia lifts quarantine requirement for Covid vaccinated foreign visitors