An endangered Asian elephant died on Friday after being electrocuted by a low-hanging high-voltage wire in southeastern Bangladesh, officials said.
The adult male elephant was crossing private property in the early hours when its tusk touched the 10,000-volt cable, local councillor Rashed Mahamud Ali said.
"People rushed to the place when they heard the screaming of the elephant at around 3:00 am," he told AFP.
This area of Bangladesh, especially in the Cox's Bazar district, has for generations been used by elephants as a migratory route for travelling back and forth from Myanmar.
"We must take up some major strategies to stop the conflicts between these beautiful giants and people," said Anwarul Islam from conservation group Wildteam.
"Otherwise it will only add more casualties on both sides," he said.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Bangladesh set to move 2nd batch of Rohingya refugees to remote island
Everest ‘grows’ as China, Nepal agree new height
Thousands of jobless Bangladeshi garment workers fear for future
Bangladesh mosque gas explosion toll rises to 24
Five arrested in Bangladesh after three children beaten to death
Bangladesh PM opens project for climate refugee families
Bangladesh allows late-stage trial of China's Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine
Bangladesh, Nepal warn of rising rivers as monsoon toll rises
Bangladesh hit hard by monsoon floods