TikTok's Australian executives appeared in Canberra on Friday before the Select Committee on Foreign Interference through Social Media, where they said the computer instructions that guide the content presented to TikTok users would be made more widely available for inspection.
"(It will be) available in a public setting for regulators, governments, commercial entities to come in and to test our code", Global Chief Security Officer Roland Cloutier said via video link.
In its written submission to the committee, TikTok said qualified government personnel could review its algorithm and test its source code at a transparency and accountability centre in Los Angeles in the United States and another to be built in Washington, or through virtual tours of the centres.
During questioning, Cloutier also said TikTok's source code was not the same as the source code used for ByteDance's Chinese version Douyin.
Under its deal, ByteDance has said it will establish a US subsidiary of which it will own 80%.
Oracle and WalMart, however, said majority ownership of TikTok Global would be in American hands, complying with an Aug. 14 executive order by US President Donald Trump that ByteDance relinquish ownership of TikTok within 90 days.
TikTok's Australia General Manager Lee Hunter said the "deal is ongoing" and he did not have knowledge of the discussions.
TikTok was registered as a business in Australia last year, and two of three directors of the Australian company are senior executives of ByteDance.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Australia's New South Wales reports zero Covid-19 cases, fears remain over missing link
Four stabbed in 'random' New Zealand knife attack
Australia to reopen door to India, local Covid-19 cluster appears contained
Covid curbs reinstated in Sydney as Australian officials trace mystery case
Australia's most populous state reports first Covid-19 case in more than a month
Australia walks back 'racist' India ban after backlash
New Zealand resumes Perth travel bubble after Covid scare
Australia to consider proposal to suspend flights from India
Parts of Western Australia in three-day lockdown after small Covid-19 outbreak