Soufiane Saadi continued his winning partnership with Jassim Ghazali-trained Burano Boy in Qatar after the duo landed the Loyalty Cup at the Al Uqda Equestrian Complex on Thursday.
The Thoroughbred Handicap feature on turf saw the Mansoor Ebrahim al-Mahmoud owned gelding winning for the fourth straight time since his arrival from the UK, beating Ivan Rossi-ridden Shes Our Queen by two-and-a-half lengths in the 2,100m run for horses rated 75-95.
In the process, the French jockey completed a treble of wins on Thursday, having guided two other winners, one each for Alban de Mieulle and Bader al-Balushi.
Al Shaqab Racing’s Mwarid was the first winner of the day for Saadi as De Mieulle’s ward landed the 2,100m Purebred Arabian Maiden Plate for four-six-year-old horses by a length.
An-hour-and-a-half later, it was Abdulatif Hussain al-Emadi’s Bab Al Rayyan who entered the winner’s enclosure for the first time in almost two years, having topped the Local Thoroughbred Handicap over six furlongs.
In the penultimate race of the day, and 2,100m race for four-year-old Arabians, Ragdan led a sweep of top two spots for the famous royal blue and white star silks of His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Khalifa al-Thani and trainer Julian Smart. Fourth in the His Highness Sheikh Abdullah Bin Khalifa Al Thani Silver Cup in January, the four-year-old son of Amer, helmed by Tomas Lukasek, edged out stablemate Asiak, ridden by Francois Herholdt on the colt’s Qatar debut, by half-a-length.
The trainer-jockey duo of Ibrahim al-Malki and Anas al-Seyabi notched a double, winning two Class 4 Thoroughbred Handicap events.
First up was Al Bida Racing’s Balmari, whose pace on the home straight ensured a comfortable victory by almost two lengths in the seven-furlong run. An hour later, it was Al Sraiya Stud’s Lightning Boltz, who won for the first time in Qatar, having shed his maiden status in Ireland in October.
Qatari jockey Faleh Bughanaim registered his ninth win this season, one better than his tally last season but still some distance away from his best season of 20 wins. A fantastic ride astride Hadi al-Ramzani-saddled Perfect Storm saw the duo go past the post a little more than a length in front of the competition in a 2,200m Thoroughbred Handicap.
Earlier in the day, Injaaz Stud’s Fakhir won for the first time since his maiden victory in HH The Amir Silver Sword two years, when Marco Casamento guided Mohamed Ghazali’s ward to a novice victory over six furongs.
Apprentice rider Khalid al-Balushi guided his sixth winner this season when Khaled Mohamed Alahmad-trained Irtiqaa shed her maiden status in a six-furlong local Thoroughbred sprint.
Race 1: PUREBRED ARABIAN NOVICE PLATE (Distance: 1,200m)
1. Fakhir (Marco Casamento), 2. Daloob (Ronan Thomas), 3. Fahd De Faust (Alberto Sanna), 4. Fajr (Khalid al-Balushi). Won by: Shd, 2, 1. Time: 1:19.00. Owner: Injaaz Stud. Trainer: Mohamed Jassim Ghazali.
Race 2: LOCAL THOROUGHBRED MAIDEN PLATE (Distance: 1,200m)
1. Irtiqaa (Khalid al-Balushi), 2. Madarek (Alberto Sanna), 3. Dreem Of Doha (Ivan Rossi), 4. War Man (Rashid Ali al-Marri). Won by: ¼, 1 3 ¾. Time: 1:13.96. Owner: Noor Khalid al-Ahmed. Trainer: Khaled Mohamed Alahmad.
Race 3: PUREBRED ARABIAN MAIDEN PLATE (4-6-year-olds) (Distance: 2,100m)
1. Mwarid (Soufiane Saadi), 2. Cocktail Du Loup (Tomas Lukasek), 3. Nachmi Al Cham (Faleh Bughanaim), 4. Mosko (Ronan Thomas). Won by: 1, 5 ½, 2. Time: 2:22.15. Owner: Al Shaqab Racing. Trainer: Alban de Mieulle.
Race 4: THOROUGHBRED HANDICAP (Class 4) (4-year-old and older, 85 & below) (Distance: 2,200m)
1. Perfect Storm (Faleh Bughanaim), 2. Roman Melody (Soufiane Saadi), 3. Thierry (Marco Casamento), 4. What A Surprise (Meteb Ali al-Marri). Won by: 1 ¼, ¾, ½. Time: 2:17.05. Owner: Mohamed Nasser al-Naimi. Trainer: Hadi al-Ramzani
Race 5: THOROUGHBRED HANDICAP (CLASS 4) (80 & below) (Distance: 1,400m)
1. Balmari (Anas al-Seyabi), 2. Amenable (Ronan Thomas), 3. Alrahaal (Soufiane Saadi), 4. Hope Cove (Ivan Rossi). Won by: 1 ¾, 1 ¼, Nk. Time: 1:25.14. Owner: Al Bida Racing. Trainer: Ibrahim al-Malki.
Race 6: LOCAL THOROUGHBRED HANDICAP (70-90) (Distance: 1,200m)
1. Bab Al Rayyan (Soufiane Saadi), 2. Sarmad Bu Thaila (Anas al-Seyabi), 3. Wadhah (Alberto Sanna), 4. Rodeyna (Khalid al-Balushi). Won by: 1 ¼, 1 ½, 3 ¾. Time: 1:14.02. Owner: Abdulatif Hussain al-Emadi. Trainer: Bader al-Balushi.
Race 7: THOROUGHBRED HANDICAP (Class 4) (85 & below) (Distance: 1,200m)
1. Lightning Boltz (Anas al-Seyabi), 2. Rex Place (Ronan Thomas), 3. The Singer (Carlos Henrique), 4. Cool Exhibit (Qais al-Busaidi). Won by: ½, Shd, ½. Time: 1:12.04. Owner: Al Sraiya Stud. Trainer: Ibrahim al-Malki.
Race 8: PUREBRED ARABIANS (4 Year Olds) (Distance: 2,100m)
1. Ragdan (Tomas Lukasek), 2. Asiak (Francois Herholdt), 3. Bin Al Tair (Soufiane Saadi), 4. Muqla (Ronan Thomas). Won by: ½, 1 ¼, 2 ¼. Time: 2:23.13. Owner: His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Khalifa al-Thani. Trainer: Julian Smart.
Race 9: LOYALTY CUP (THOROUGHBRED HANDICAP (Class 3) 75-95) (Distance: 2,100m)
1. Burano Boy (Soufiane Saadi), 2. Shes Our Queen (Ivan Rossi), 3. Bottom Bay (Marco Casamento), 4. Hessdalen (Anas al-Seyabi). Won by: 2 ½, 1 ¼, ½. Time:. Owner: Mansoor Ebrahim al-Mahmoud. Trainer: Jassim Mohamed Ghazali.