* 27% of eligible adults and 77% of people over 60 years of age have received at least one vaccine dose
* National Covid-19 Vaccination Programme now inoculating more than 170,000 people a week
* Vaccination programme being delivered at more than 35 centres across Qatar
Baby Manalo, a 42-year-old Filipino resident of Qatar, on Wednesday visited Al Waab Health Centre and received the one millionth Covid-19 vaccine dose to be administered since the start of the National Covid-19 Vaccination Programme, te Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) said Wednesday. Last updated: April 07 2021 08:37 PM
"Administering the one millionth vaccine dose is a hugely significant milestone and highlights the rapid pace of the National Covid-19 Vaccination Programme, which is now vaccinating more than 170,000 people a week," MoPH said.
Since the start of the vaccination programme, the strategy has prioritised vaccinating people most at risk of severe Covid-19 symptoms and with the availability of more vaccines and the opening of additional vaccination centres, the eligibility criteria has been expanded in line with the phased rollout of the National Covid-19 Vaccination Programme.
With 27% of eligible adults and 77% of people over 60 years of age having received at least one vaccine dose, a significant proportion of the most at-risk members of Qatar’s population are protected against the virus, the MoPH stressed.
"I am delighted to receive my first vaccine dose today after a very challenging year living under the threat of the virus. I am thankful for the action taken by the Ministry of Public Health and the government to protect the citizens and people in Qatar. I can feel calm that I got my vaccination and can look forward to performing my duties with less concern,” said Manalo.
The National Covid-19 Vaccination Programme is being delivered at more than 35 vaccination centres across Qatar, with the majority of doses administered through Primary Health Care Corporation’s 27 primary health centres, the vaccination center at Qatar National Convention Centre and two drive-through vaccination centers in Lusail and Al Wakra.
The current priority groups for COVID-19 vaccinations are as follows:
* People aged 40 years of age and above regardless of their health conditions
* People with moderate chronic medical conditions
* Additional healthcare professionals and other key workers in different ministries and industries, including teachers and administration staff in the education sector.